My first Arabic wedding

WARNING: Vanity wave is coming your way! Kindly forgive the multiple Rians below. But worry not for her vanity strikes only once in a blue moon. Proceed.

Last Saturday, I attended my student's wedding. She is a very intelligent and beautiful Egyptian lady who married an Emirati. Ever since I started teaching here, the two of us had been discussing a lot of things together (post-lecture), mostly about anything under the sun that's not related to physiotherapy, and sometimes about her love life. I remember during their midterms last semester, she was about to pick a case for her practical exam and she just blurted out, "I came from the court earlier today and I just got married!" I didn't know what to say at that very moment because my reaction ranged from extreme giddiness for her, to general wonderment for her and her fiance/husband (mainly, isn't it too early? or aren't you quite young to be married?), to a feeling of bliss and sincere well-wishing for the both of them. Of course I congratulated her but I'm pretty sure at the back of my head there was a voice saying "oh, naunahan ka na naman ng isa mo pang student. wag nang pahuhuli pa!". Hahaha! Kidding.

Anyway, from November (when they got married in court), our conversations got spiced up by her wedding preparation. I even did her measurements for the gown that she had made abroad. Fast forward to last week, I still had no idea what to wear. She said that as an expat, I can wear anything I want. I happened to mention the event to our school nurse, Ms. Janet, who helped me pick my dress. Moreover, she went to my apartment 3 hours before the wedding to style me. Her visitor from Pinas did my nail art and hairstyle while her husband (oh yes, she has one of the coolest husbands in the world!) did supervise the accessorizing and make-up. I planned to book a taxi going to the event but they insisted on driving me to the venue instead. Thanks!


Inside the wedding hall where I entered, only females were gathered. In Arabic wedding, the gathering for males happens in a separate hall since males are not allowed to see the ladies without their abaya. It was my first time to see more than hundreds of Arabic ladies not wearing their abaya. It's true what my students told me, weddings here are considered red-carpet events. All of them were elegantly dressed and they all looked so glamorous. But the most beautiful woman that night was no other than the bride.

Another true story that my students warned me about: there were lots of food. The food and drinks just kept coming and coming to our table. At one point, I tried adjusting my belt so I could have more room. Despite the fact that I was soooo full that night, I still had the energy to dance with my colleague and my students.

And here I was taking mirror selfies when I got home. I played with my hair for a bit before slipping out of my dress. Fun night indeed!


My nails. Big big thanks to Tintin who patiently painted a garden of roses on my tiny teeny nails, and to the husband-and-wife tandem of Steve and Janet Arabia for styling the ever-clueless-in-style me! Many many thanks! Also to Dimple, thanks for having the same feet size as mine. Hehe. It saved me from the dizzying shopping conundrum that I always try to avoid.


Here's to more happy life events, for me and for everyone around me. Cheers!

2 comments:

linda said...

look so gorgeous....kamukha ka ni korina sanchez....hehehehe sori po...

Rian G. said...

Dahil ba ng pisngi ko? Ikaw tlga pinagdiskitahan mo na naman ang mataba kong pisngi. Hehehe.