My boss's favorite TV ads

Last Monday, we had our last department meeting before ending the semester. Instead of holding it in Abu Dhabi campus like the usual, our department head decided to invite us for an authentic Arabic lunch in our Al Ain campus. My colleague Dragana drove all the way from Abu Dhabi to Al Ain while I sat in her car admiring the view of the road to Al Ain. That part of Abu Dhabi is sooooo amazing! It was a 1.5 hour drive. The roadside is full of greens. You wouldn't think you're in the middle of a desert. I didn't take any pictures though. I was so busy holding my dropping jaw, hehe.

We finished our meeting agenda in less than 2 hours. We had lunch a quarter before 1pm. It was a feast for 5 people (yes, right now there are only 5 people in the Physiotherapy Department). They served us my favorite salad fattoush, tabouleh, grilled chicken, grilled beef, grilled lamb with the best dips in the world like hummus, baba ghannouj and garlic paste, all served with Arabic bread.

During lunch, we talked about all sorts of things from Australia (where Kim is from), Jordan (where our department head Dr. Jarrah and my colleague Raghda are from), Serbia (where Dragana is from) and the Philippines. We talked about travels (my colleagues are well-traveled), language (particularly accents), previous work, education, etc. My most favorite part was when we were talking about hilarious TV ads. Dr. Jarrah mentioned some remarkable TV ads which none of us has ever seen before, but the way he reenacted the whole thing made us laugh so hard. When I got home after the meeting, I immediately searched them in youtube. Here's one from Mercedes.


Kim and Dragana (who are both blondes) were a little infuriated with the fact that the female in the ad is blonde. But they just laughed it off. They are so used to it.

And here's another one from McDonald's.


We continued our mix of academic and non-academic conversation over tea. Dragana and I left Al Ain a little before 4pm. It was indeed a terrific day.

No comments: